Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

"The Three Stooges 6-Movie Set" DVD Collection, Feb. 4, 2014

BeAStooge · 60 · 21016

Linked Events

• Three Stooges 6-Movie DVD Collection: February 04, 2014 - February 10, 2014

Offline Mark The Shark

Thanks for the heads up and caveats. I have looked for this set in brick and mortar stores but have not run across it yet. The only film included that I don't already have on DVD is Time Out For Rhythm so it sounds like I'd be better off just getting the Sony Select version of that title. It's worth a few extra bucks to me. Sounds like I should be glad I have the Sony version of The Outlaws Is Coming!

I still would have preferred a full-screen option for these 1960s features, by the way. Yes, I know they would have been seen in theatres for their brief original releases in matted widescreen, but for the rest of their lives on TV it would have been full-frame until very recently. I find it really weird that of all the 1960s features, the one actually filmed in Cinemascope (as opposed to being projected matted), Snow White And The Three Stooges, was released on DVD both in widescreen and "pan and scan," which is completely different than open-matte.

Offline Tony Bensley

Thanks for the heads up and caveats. I have looked for this set in brick and mortar stores but have not run across it yet. The only film included that I don't already have on DVD is Time Out For Rhythm so it sounds like I'd be better off just getting the Sony Select version of that title. It's worth a few extra bucks to me. Sounds like I should be glad I have the Sony version of The Outlaws Is Coming!
You're welcome, Mark!  I'll hopefully soon have the Sony DVD of THE OUTLAWS IS COMING as well.  I just placed an order for this through an Amazon Marketplace Merchant.

I still would have preferred a full-screen option for these 1960s features, by the way. Yes, I know they would have been seen in theatres for their brief original releases in matted widescreen, but for the rest of their lives on TV it would have been full-frame until very recently. I find it really weird that of all the 1960s features, the one actually filmed in Cinemascope (as opposed to being projected matted), Snow White And The Three Stooges, was released on DVD both in widescreen and "pan and scan," which is completely different than open-matte.
I'm basically 50/50 regarding this one.  While the Full Screen Mattes used for Television provide more image, these geared for Widescreen Titles were filmed in such a way as to keep the important visuals within the 16x9 (At least they were supposed to!) area that was used for their original Theatrical Showings.

CHEERS!

Tony

Offline Squirrelbait

Hmmm....I was just browsing around on Amazon, and I happened to come across THIS:

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Stooges-Moe-Howard/dp/B00JAD6D9U/ref=sr_1_131?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1396083618&sr=1-131&keywords=the+three+stooges

Apparently Mill Creek has another Stooge set scheduled for release on 05/20.
As you can see though, there's no picture/contents, just the title. We can only wonder....
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline Squirrelbait

Hmmm....I was just browsing around on Amazon, and I happened to come across THIS:

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Stooges-Moe-Howard/dp/B00JAD6D9U/ref=sr_1_131?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1396083618&sr=1-131&keywords=the+three+stooges

Apparently Mill Creek has another Stooge set scheduled for release on 05/20.
As you can see though, there's no picture/contents, just the title. We can only wonder....

Never mind, it's just the original set repackaged in a fancy tin.

http://www.millcreekent.com/the-three-stooges-collector-s-tin.html

I got a little ahead of myself - sorry!

If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline Tony Bensley

Never mind, it's just the original set repackaged in a fancy tin.

http://www.millcreekent.com/the-three-stooges-collector-s-tin.html
It isn't the packaging that needs redoing!  Seriously, repackaging damaged goods doesn't do anybody any favors.  It appears to me that Mill Creek has realized that they somewhat blew it with the digital transfers (Especially with THE OUTLAWS IS COMING!) and at this point are trying anything to sell a few extra copies of this set.

CHEERS!

Offline Tony Bensley

I've now viewed THE OUTLAWS IS COMING Sony DVD Transfer, and I can honestly say that despite the very minutely marginal Top/Bottom Image Cropping, this is much better than its glitchy/over-encoded Mill Creek Entertainment counterpart!  It's not even close!

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

ThumpTheShoes

Well, let's look at it from Sony's former marketing standpoint: If the Three Stooges shorts are funnier in color, then a feature-length Stooge film full of green screen flashes and blobs should be a frickin' side-splitting riot!!

:laugh:
Laugh? I thought I'd never start! LOL!!!

Offline Squirrelbait

Well, let's look at it from Sony's former marketing standpoint: If the Three Stooges shorts are funnier in color, then a feature-length Stooge film full of green screen flashes and blobs should be a frickin' side-splitting riot!!

:laugh:
Laugh? I thought I'd never start! LOL!!!

At one time, I had a Stooges - Funnier in Color pin that I had bought from Suncoast back in '04 when the color DVDs first came out. And I still do have it......somewhere.....

Too bad they didn't promote these in the same way.

Offline Tony Bensley

At one time, I had a Stooges - Funnier in Color pin that I had bought from Suncoast back in '04 when the color DVDs first came out. And I still do have it......somewhere.....

Too bad they didn't promote these in the same way.
Hi Squirrelbait!

Unfortunately, Mill Creek would have had to promote their "Special Edition" of THE OUTLAWS IS COMING as "Funny Looking Colors," or else something like "THE OUTLAWS IS COMING Goes Green," and the whole set as "The Good, The Bad, & The Glitchy!"   ;D

Needless to say, none of the above would have really gone over!   :P

CHEERS!   [3stooges]

Tony

Offline Squirrelbait

Hi Squirrelbait!

Unfortunately, Mill Creek would have had to promote their "Special Edition" of THE OUTLAWS IS COMING as "Funny Looking Colors," or else something like "THE OUTLAWS IS COMING Goes Green," and the whole set as "The Good, The Bad, & The Glitchy!"   ;D

Needless to say, none of the above would have really gone over!   :P

CHEERS!   [3stooges]

Tony

'Going Green' reminds me of Svengoolie - the horror host on Me-TV. He once showed a Caesar Romero movie on his program, and purposely turned part of it green so the viewers could experience 'Caesar Salad Vision'!

Then for the rest of it, he periodically added burp/fart sound effects, in addition to a whole bunch of new jokes that, I'm pretty sure, wouldn't have been in the original movie.