Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2012 Baseball Thread

metaldams · 252 · 50019

Offline metaldams

I swear, I was making fun of this guy to Boid Brain, and now the Red Sox have to go and sign him!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Punto 

Nick Punto, Kelly Shoppach, Mark Melancon (who I'm OK with if he sets up), I don't know where this team is going right now.

Take Kelly Shoppach. We already have Lavarnaway and Salty, I thought we were fine at catcher.  If they trade the former to get, say Felix Hernandez, then I understand,  but if they plan on keeping both, then why?  Lavarnaway is major league ready as far as I'm concerned.

Oh well, it's only December, just gotta tell myself there's more off-season to go.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I'll have to take notes on the romantic department here.  Perhaps signed copies of my Three Stooges Journal article years back would do? 

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/13/derek-jeter-gives-his-hookups-autographed-baseballs
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

That was a good trade by Houston. I liked that they moved a set up man caliber reliever for a solid young MI in Lowrie and a potential #4 starter or swing man in Wieland. I'd rather have Lowrie and Wieland than just Melancon. But I can't blame Boston. I don't think Wieland and Lowrie were going to have a lot of opportunity there and Melancon should be good in the 7th/8th innings. He's not a closer in ideal circumstances.

And I agree Shoppach wasn't really needed. Lavarnway has nothing left to prove in the minors and should be in the bigs for good.

Offline falsealarms

I'll have to take notes on the romantic department here.  Perhaps signed copies of my Three Stooges Journal article years back would do? 

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/13/derek-jeter-gives-his-hookups-autographed-baseballs

What issue was your article in? I've only had one thing in there myself (Calling Dr. Howard, Issue 126) though you'll find my name in issue 139 as well (lost/found players).

I may have read your article without even knowing it was by our own Metaldams.

Offline metaldams

What issue was your article in? I've only had one thing in there myself (Calling Dr. Howard, Issue 126) though you'll find my name in issue 139 as well (lost/found players).

I may have read your article without even knowing it was by our own Metaldams.

Quite sad, but I had to look it up on threestooges.net.

I co-wrote it with Bobby "Bruckman" Winslow, and it's the Summer and Fall 2004 issues.  The title of the article was "Gag Crazy" and it compared similar gags Harold Lloyd and The Three Stooges used.  Surely will go for more on e-bay than a Derek Jeter autograph in a perfect world.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
While the mere fact that he is on the Yankees does cheapen the value of his autograph amongst the non Jersey Shore casting rejects, I don't think his autograph has been cheapened that much. It would be absolutely tits if he handed out t-shirts that said "I Blew Derek Jeter And All I Got Was A Salty Load And This Lousy T-Shirt".

I hear A-Roid hands out autographed bras to his conquests.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

Hey falsealarms, what do you think about Carlos Beltran going to the cardinals?? Good for us.  :D Makes the Albert departure a little less painful.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'm not trying to put down Pujols or anything, his heading over to the Wherever Angels is a big deal; but this offseason so far has been not only notable for Pujols and the Miami Marlins but the inactivity of two high profile, high profit teams as well that happen to come from the Northeast (and I'm not talking about the pathetic Mets).
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

I'm not trying to put down Pujols or anything, his heading over to the Wherever Angels is a big deal; but this offseason so far has been not only notable for Pujols and the Miami Marlins but the inactivity of two high profile, high profit teams as well that happen to come from the Northeast (and I'm not talking about the pathetic Mets).

We got Nick Punto, what more do we need?  (All Punto jokes aside, he might be a good bench guy).

What do you think of Bard being a starter?  I'd feel more comfortable with a Cordero type closing if we have to make Bard a starter, but this is a risk.  He could be C.J. Wilson or D-Lowe, or he could also be Joba.  Should be interesting, anyway, but the 4th and 5th spots are big question marks now.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Boston gets their closer by acquiring Andrew Bailey from Oakland for Josh Reddick, Miles Head, and Raul Alcantara. Pretty good move for Boston to fill the 9th with a high upside closer (if healthy) without giving up anything they'll regret. Reddick might be a decent starting outfielder, but probably wasn't going to happen in Boston. A change of scenery will be good for him. Head is a decent but not great prospect who tore up Low-A but his numbers fell off quite a bit upon hitting High-A. Still just 20 years old, though. Alcantara is a long ways off, but he's the lesser of the three prospects here.

Bailey is under team control through 2014. Bailey puts Melancon where he really belongs (set up) though I don't like the idea of making Bard a starter. His career was almost ruined as a starter. I wouldn't be messing with him now that he's established himself as an up and coming relief ace.

Boston also got Ryan Sweeney in the deal. He'll hit for a good average but not much else, though he is a good defender.

Offline metaldams

Boston gets their closer by acquiring Andrew Bailey from Oakland for Josh Reddick, Miles Head, and Raul Alcantara. Pretty good move for Boston to fill the 9th with a high upside closer (if healthy) without giving up anything they'll regret. Reddick might be a decent starting outfielder, but probably wasn't going to happen in Boston. A change of scenery will be good for him. Head is a decent but not great prospect who tore up Low-A but his numbers fell off quite a bit upon hitting High-A. Still just 20 years old, though. Alcantara is a long ways off, but he's the lesser of the three prospects here.

Bailey is under team control through 2014. Bailey puts Melancon where he really belongs (set up) though I don't like the idea of making Bard a starter. His career was almost ruined as a starter. I wouldn't be messing with him now that he's established himself as an up and coming relief ace.

Boston also got Ryan Sweeney in the deal. He'll hit for a good average but not much else, though he is a good defender.

I say between Bailey, Melancon, Bard, and Aceves if the latter two don't start, Boston now have plenty of options to replace Papelbon.  Not that I'm high on Jenks, but he's good for a 5th guy on the closer's depth chart.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

By the way, Okajima signed a minor lg deal with the Yankees.

Offline metaldams

By the way, Okajima signed a minor lg deal with the Yankees.

Yeah, I heard that.  I say Boston doesn't win in '07 without him.  He was phenomenal most of the regular season and the hero in game 2 of the World Series.  I still remember, 28 pitches, 7 outs, and Boston won that game 2 - 1.  Part of me wants to wish him luck, but then again, he's wearing THAT uniform.  Still, can't blame him, Boston gave up on him and he found an opportunity elsewhere.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

With the Red Sox trade for Andrew Bailey, he gets to come home this year during the May interleague series.  He played in Philly last year with the A's, so he gets to pay the highest wage tax in the country again.

Offline metaldams

Carlos Zambrano is a Marlin, which means he'll be sharing a clubhouse with Ozzie Guillen.  I don't know about you guys, but as far as watching this goes, I'll be sitting back in the recliner chair and grabbing a cold one.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

I was disappointed in the Zambrano trade, only because the Phillies will face Chris Volstad no more than twice a year instead of the six times they would beat on him.  BTW, Los Marlins will provide the opposition in the Phillies' home opener.

Offline metaldams

Prince Fielder with The Tigers, 9 years - $214 million!  He'll be 36 when the deal ends, but with his body type, a very risky deal.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120124&content_id=26452690&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

I did see MONEYBALL tonight. For what it's worth, I thought it was pretty good. I'd give it a solid B. Worth watching at least once.
Rented money-ball tonight, and i liked it. Very interesting look into one aspect of baseball. Did the Red Socks really use this philosophy to finally win a world series, like it said at the end of the movie?

Offline metaldams

Rented money-ball tonight, and i liked it. Very interesting look into one aspect of baseball. Did the Red Socks really use this philosophy to finally win a world series, like it said at the end of the movie?

Theo Epstein was/is a Billy Beane disciple, so, yeah, you can say it's true.  To this day, the Red Sox are a huge OBP team, but especially those '03 - '05 teams.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Hall of Famer Gary Carter died today, but he had been battling brain cancer for awhile. The news of his passing is sad, but not a surprise. I'm too young to remember him but he was the heart and soul of those 1986 Mets as much as anyone. Nice little remembrance video here: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7583267/hall-fame-catcher-gary-carter-dies-age-57

Offline metaldams

Hall of Famer Gary Carter died today, but he had been battling brain cancer for awhile. The news of his passing is sad, but not a surprise. I'm too young to remember him but he was the heart and soul of those 1986 Mets as much as anyone. Nice little remembrance video here: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7583267/hall-fame-catcher-gary-carter-dies-age-57

Gary Carter was one of the first baseball players I was ever aware of.  Very sad indeed.  R.I.P. Gary.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Bittersweet announcement that Tim Wakefield's announcing his retirement.  It's good because for the present, it's definitely time.  Bad because he was dependable for years and I think he'll be missed by Red Sox fans.  My favorite Wakefield moment was game 5 of the 2004 ALCS pitching I believe 3 scoreless innings to hold the Yanks at bay so Ortiz could deliver the walk-off in the 14th.  He did this in spite of 3 passed balls in one inning!  Varitek (a similar announcement soon?) was catching instead of Mirabelli, but the baseball gods were on our side.  Glad he won such an important game after the Aaron Boone walk-off the year before. 

Thanks for everything Tim.   

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2012/02/wakefield_annou.html
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp Shady

Gary Carter was one of the first baseball players I was ever aware of.  Very sad indeed.  R.I.P. Gary.

I remember a few years back, when a colleague of mine and I were discussing which Hall-of-Famers we’d even seen play. As I was considering catchers, the first two who quickly came to mind were Bench and Fisk—and then I remembered having seen Carter play in L.A. during his time as a Dodger. Carter is also, I believe, the first such Hall-of-Famer (whom I saw play) to pass away.

I’ll also never forget a story in a local paper about the 1980 All-Star Game, titled something such as “A Tale of Two Gar(r)ys.” The story was about Gary Carter, a young catcher who claimed (echoing a sentiment often attributed to Ringo Starr) that he’d be happy to be on the team just as a reserve—irrespective of whether got to play. Carter did make the team and did get to play, as a backup to perennial starter Johnny Bench. The following year, Carter was the starter, hit two homers, and was named MVP of the ’81 (post-strike) All-Star Game, the first of four consecutive starts (and of 7 starts in his next 8 years on the NL team).

The story was also about Garry Templeton, who the previous year infamously declared, “If I ain’t startin’, I ain’t departin’”; and in 1980, after Bill Russell ultimately won in a close vote for starting NL shortstop, Templeton got his wish and was NOT selected as a reserve—even though he was batting .327 with 23 steals at the break. He went on to make just one more appearance in the Midsummer Classic, as a non-starter with the Padres in 1985—and he never quite lived up to his billing as THE player to watch for the ‘80s, a lead-pipe cinch for Cooperstown. (Interestingly, the man whom the Cards traded Templeton for, Ozzie Smith, wound up departin’ for 15 All-Star games from 1981 to 1996, also startin’ in 11 games, 10 of those consecutive—and, along with Carter, is now enshrined at Cooperstown.)

R.I.P., ‘Kid’! Baseball today needs more players with your spirit, enthusiasm, and overall approach to the game!
Eet ees a klasseek!!

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
He was my high school math teacher's favorite player.  RIP, Gary.

Very sad also to hear about Tim.  He was one of my favorites, but like Doug said, it's time.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!