The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2012 Baseball Thread

metaldams · 252 · 50056

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Hmm, I'm not sure about Bobby Valentine...I'm going to have reserve my judgement for the season. Personally I would have went with Gene Lamont, and I wonder if Valentine was chosen because he was the "sexy" choice. It will be interesting to say the least, and Valentine is being handed the keys to a Lamborghini instead of the Pintos he had before so I'm going to wait to see.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Hmm, I'm not sure about Bobby Valentine...I'm going to have reserve my judgement for the season. Personally I would have went with Gene Lamont, and I wonder if Valentine was chosen because he was the "sexy" choice. It will be interesting to say the least, and Valentine is being handed the keys to a Lamborghini instead of the Pintos he had before so I'm going to wait to see.

Well, let's see what he can do with this Lamborghini, he did take one of those Pintos to the World Series.

Terry Francona publically admitted he lost control of the 2011 team, so I think, on paper anyway, a different style manager is needed.  Valentine is just that, so we'll see what happens.

I was listening to weei radio yesterday, and listening to Tito's interview, it really dawned on me I'm going to miss the guy.  I didn't agree with every move he made, but he always handled the media well (important in Boston) until the last month, and he seems like a good guy I'd love to have a beer with and chat baseball.  I hear he's going to possibly be an announcer, I wish him well.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

.....and now for a baseball story that kicks serious ass, a legally blind 15 year old throws a no-hitter.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/10/doug-wells-legally-blind-_n_1003306.html?ncid=txtlnkushpmg00000050
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well, let's see what he can do with this Lamborghini, he did take one of those Pintos to the World Series.

Terry Francona publically admitted he lost control of the 2011 team, so I think, on paper anyway, a different style manager is needed.  Valentine is just that, so we'll see what happens.

I was listening to weei radio yesterday, and listening to Tito's interview, it really dawned on me I'm going to miss the guy.  I didn't agree with every move he made, but he always handled the media well (important in Boston) until the last month, and he seems like a good guy I'd love to have a beer with and chat baseball.  I hear he's going to possibly be an announcer, I wish him well.

Tito should be managing. He was great in his impromptu post season announcing gig replacing the aged and terrible Tim MacCarver, but he has such a great baseball mind and acumen that any team needing a manager should have been ringing his phone off the hook instead of getting lesser known managers (Cubs, Cards). Speaking of that, does it make me old when I can remember when quite a few current managers were playing (Sveum, Matheny, Girardi to name the ones that come to mind)?
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Tito should be managing. He was great in his impromptu post season announcing gig replacing the aged and terrible Tim MacCarver, but he has such a great baseball mind and acumen that any team needing a manager should have been ringing his phone off the hook instead of getting lesser known managers (Cubs, Cards). Speaking of that, does it make me old when I can remember when quite a few current managers were playing (Sveum, Matheny, Girardi to name the ones that come to mind)?

Yes it makes you old, and me too.  You probably cringed just like I did hearing the name Sandy Alomar, Jr. as a Red Sox managerial candidate, not because of his credentials, but because of his age.  Alomar's another player we grew up watching.

Both of my parents are born in 1950, as is Bobby Valentine.  When I started watching baseball, Valentine was the only manager my parent's age, every other manager was older.  These days, Valentine is now considered an old guy and this is his last chance.  That also makes me feel a bit old.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

....it could be worse though, Jim.

Last year, I was over my Uncle's house, and me, my Dad, my Uncle, and my Aunt's boyfriend were watching the 1960 WS game 7 on MLB network, and my Dad had all these childhood memories watching these old Yankee players.  Then he realized he was the only one in the room even born when this world series happened.  The other two missed out by only a few years, and it was 18 years later for me.

We all have our getting old obstacles, I guess having players we watched growing up become managers is a current one.  Wait until the players are young enough to be our children.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

The Mets are smart to let Reyes walk (he's reportedly going to Miami for 6 yrs/111 m). He's one of the most dynamic players in the game and plays a premium position, but his history of leg injuries can't be ignored and giving that kind of money to a guy who relies so much on his legs wasn't a risk I'd make either. As he ages, it might just get worse and he hasn't topped 133 games in a year since 2008. It's not like the Mets are contending in the next couple years either. I expect them to finish dead last in the NL East next year. Washington will be better as will Miami.

It's good to see Miami spend some serious money and they did get themselves a heckuva player, at least when he's healthy. A left side of the IF of Reyes and Hanley (3B) could be scary good. They need to make a splash as they move into their new park.

Offline metaldams

It's good to see Miami spend some serious money and they did get themselves a heckuva player, at least when he's healthy. A left side of the IF of Reyes and Hanley (3B) could be scary good. They need to make a splash as they move into their new park.

This scenario has Jeter and A-Rod written all over it, except this time, the incoming player is moving an existing player out of position.  Should be a scary combo if these two can stay both professional and healthy, a big if on both counts.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Ron Santo is elected to the HOF by the Veteran's Commitee; it's a shame he didn't get in while he was alive as he deserved to. This year's class is noticeably weak as all get out: beyond the McGuire's and whatnot that will most certainly not get in due to PEDs (I say McGuire deserves it even with the PEDs) newcomers include Bernie Williams, Ruben Sierra, Vinny Castilla, Eric Young, Tim Salmon and Brad Radke. None of these guys deserve to get in whatsoever.

Then again, the HOF isn't a true HOF until Pete Rose gets in.

Offline falsealarms

Who replaces Valentine on Sunday Night Baseball? Terry Francona: http://proxy.espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/15639/francona-joins-espn-for-snb-and-more

As much as I liked Valentine as a manager, he wasn't that good in the booth. Francona will be a big upgrade there.

As for the HOF, Santo should have already been in. I think Larkin gets in, but nobody else next month. I can see arguments for Bagwell, Martinez, and Raines but don't think any of them get in now.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Larkin doesn't deserve to get in and out of all those you listed none of them deserve to get in. The HOF should be deserved for the elite of their generation. Santo was one of the elite, the others not so much. We don't need more Phil Rizzutos clogging up Cooperstown undeservingly.

Offline Curly4444

Albert Pujols signs with Los Angeles Angels, outbidding Marlins and Cardinals

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/albert-pujols-signs-with-los-angeles-angels-outbidding-marlins-and-cardinals/2011/12/08/gIQAYI9ufO_story.html

Not a good day for cardinal nation. We lost a legend. Yea for greed!!  >:(

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The Angels also signed CJ Wilson for 5yr/77.5 mil. They are overpaying immensely and here's why. $25 million a year is too much to pay anyone to play baseball, I don't care how good they are. Nevermind he'll be well into his 40's when the contract ends. As for Wilson, is he really worth $15.5 million a year? Hell no, not even close. At least you can justify the Pujols contract based on other contracts for top players at the time, Wilson isn't even a Top 25 starter in MLB. He'll probably end up being the 3-4 guy in the Halos rotation and it is asinine to pay THAT MUCH for a middle rotation starter. This is going to effect every team because now all teams looking for middle rotation guys will be pointed to this contract.

I hoping Pujols would have stayed and retired a Cardinal.

Offline Curly4444

I hoping Pujols would have stayed and retired a Cardinal.

You and thousands of fans here in St. Louis also.

I agree, its too much to pay anyone that kind of money. Where will it all end? Just fucking crazy.

Offline Lefty

In 1978, one Michael Jack Schmidt's salary was $500,000.  I always thought that was waaaaaaaaaay too much.  Now with the new contract, it will be the minimum salary for all of these overpaid prima donuts.

As for Jose Alberto Pujols the 6 & 7/8ths, that he's now in the American League should make some N.L. East teams happy, but he really wasn't as much of a PITA to the Phillies like many other Redbirds are.

Offline Lefty

And I do not envy the Miami Marlenes when the novelty of the new building wears off and ownership is stuck with their quadrillion-dollar salaries.

Offline metaldams

You and thousands of fans here in St. Louis also.

I agree, its too much to pay anyone that kind of money. Where will it all end? Just fucking crazy.

I thought for sure he'd stay a Cardinal when the Marlins dropped out.  As a baseball fan, sad to hear, you'd like to see one of the all-time greats stay with the same team for once not named the Yankees.

Good pick up for the Angels, but it should be interesting to see how this looks 10 years from now.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

Maybe they could have signed him if the cardinal organization didn't drag their feet and take so long. If that $250 million dollar carrot wasn't dangled in from of his face, maybe he would've signed with us?

Offline JazzBill

I guess we have the new Lebron James.  :(
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

Burn baby burn!! :P ::)

The guy helped you win two World Series, played for you for about 10 years, and put up some of the best numbers in the history of the game, and you want to burn his jersey?

I can understand if he went to the Cubs because they're your rival, but other than that, baseball's a business, deal with it.  I sure as Hell hope the Cardinal fans give Pujols a standing ovation if he comes back to play against St. Louis.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

I didn't burn his jersey, was just showing how some ppl are so pissed over his leaving.

Offline metaldams

I didn't burn his jersey, was just showing how some ppl are so pissed over his leaving.

I thought you were advocating it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

Offline JazzBill

I hear Man-Ram is trying to find a team that will take him. Maybe Ozzie will help him out in Florida. They seem to be going after everyone.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".