Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2012 Baseball Thread

metaldams · 252 · 50061

Offline Lefty

Rumors have Madson nearing a 4 year / 44 M deal with the Phillies. Not a smart move, IMO. That's a lot of years (and a lot of dollars) to give to a closer, especially considering how volatile most closers are.

It's a lot of money, all right, but less than what I thought Scott Boras would demand.  (Hope he doesn't read this.  LOL)  And I won't believe any of it until the deal is signed, sealed, and delivered.

Offline falsealarms

Those Madson rumors have all but died but the Philly media reports Papelbon is nearing agreement with Philly, pending physical. The Red Sox would get a first round pick as compensation if this all goes through. If it does, I'm a little surprised. I'm a big Papelbon believer but figured he'd end up in Boston again. Papelbon should be great in Philly. Unlike Madson, he has a long track record closing games.

Bard probably can turn into a pretty good closer, so it's not all that bad for Boston.

http://www.csnphilly.com/baseball-philadelphia-phillies/news/Phils-reach-contract-agreement-with-Pape?blockID=592376&feedID=704

Offline metaldams

Bard probably can turn into a pretty good closer, so it's not all that bad for Boston.

Bard's got the stuff, but he's very spotty.  Sometimes he's lights out, other times he's dreadful.  I guess you can say that for just about any closer, though.  Mid season in 2011 he was untouchable, but he didn't start and end so well.

If Papelbon does become a Phillie, I wish him luck.  He's the best Red Sox closer ever, and always gave his best, plus he was damn entertaining when we'd win, I have nothing bad to say.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Looks like it might be 4 years / 50 M: http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/report-jonathan-papelbon-agrees-to-deal-with-phillies-ending-seven-year-career-with-red-sox.html

One reason I thought he'd stay was Bard's awful September, perhaps casting doubt in their mind about Bard. But that month was kind of fluke and even with it his season numbers were very good (3.33, 0.96 whip, K an IP). The Red Sox probably had more important things to spend 50 M on.

Offline Lefty

1.  Hopefully Papelbon will pass the physical.

2.  I guess Boras isn't Papelbon's agent.

3.  Isn't Papelbon some kind of spice?

4.  Madson will probably end up in one of Bore-@$$'s cities (Boston or St. Louis).

5.  Papelbon will wear number 58A and Bastardo will wear number 58B.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Apparently Paps wanted out of Boston as he didn't even give them the chance to match or top the Phillies' offer. I wish him the best personally but hope the Phillies continue to bomb out. I have to admit it was fun watching them steamroll the NL during the season only to fall in the first round.

Bard I think is ready to take the closer spot but we have to be patient, which is not a virtue held by many Red Sox fans. He is only 26 after all. Boston has three main spots to worry about: manager, starter and RF. I don't know if they will "settle" for Reddick to inherit Drew's spot with all that has gone on: Henry might think he needs to make a big splash and take a big run at Beltran.

Note to Marco Scutaro and all other Venezuelan players: stay the fuck out of Venezuela!

The Marlins of all teams seem to be going balls out: going after Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle and Albert Pujols in the hopes that they will drive attendance up in their new park. Nothing short of an OF of Williams, Ruth and Musial would drive up attendance in Miami, which is a horseshit sports town. I would honestly be surprised if any of them signed with Miami (no longer Florida), especially Pujols.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

The Marlins of all teams seem to be going balls out: going after Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle and Albert Pujols in the hopes that they will drive attendance up in their new park. Nothing short of an OF of Williams, Ruth and Musial would drive up attendance in Miami, which is a horseshit sports town. I would honestly be surprised if any of them signed with Miami (no longer Florida), especially Pujols.

I wouldn't sign with the Florida Marlins. It may bring in the people for a couple of years, but after that when they start sucking again, and the fans stop coming, how will they pay Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle and Albert Pujols? If these players are after a long term money stream, i wouldn't sign with Florida.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I wouldn't sign with the Florida Marlins. It may bring in the people for a couple of years, but after that when they start sucking again, and the fans stop coming, how will they pay Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle and Albert Pujols? If these players are after a long term money stream, i wouldn't sign with Florida.

I concur: if I were any of those players I would avoid Miami (remember it's the Miami Marlins now) like The Plague. They have raised their payroll a bit, but every time they do or they actually win they set out to dismantle the team the next season. That's because the fan support is nil and Miami is a shitty sports town (shit, Florida is a shitty sports state). I don't think they have enough of a payroll to sign all three players so if one does sign the others might be off the table.

Speaking of the Miami Marlins, here are their new uniforms: yuck.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/937411-miami-marlins-uniforms-orange-jerseys-among-worst-in-history
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

I concur: if I were any of those players I would avoid Miami (remember it's the Miami Marlins now) like The Plague. They have raised their payroll a bit, but every time they do or they actually win they set out to dismantle the team the next season. That's because the fan support is nil and Miami is a shitty sports town (shit, Florida is a shitty sports state). I don't think they have enough of a payroll to sign all three players so if one does sign the others might be off the table.

Speaking of the Miami Marlins, here are their new uniforms: yuck.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/937411-miami-marlins-uniforms-orange-jerseys-among-worst-in-history

They are beyond awe-full. Halloween colors=Yuck indeed.

Offline falsealarms

Not surprisingly, Verlander was the unanimous AL CY winner. But the story is some moron gave a fifth place vote to David Robertson, the Yankees set up man. That's just dumb.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well a smattering of MLB news today: Kershaw wins the NL Cy Young, Red Sox to meet with Valentine, Sveum to manage the Cubs and the biggest of all is the Astros will be moving to the AL by 2013 and there will be an extra wild card team in each league, perhaps as early as the upcoming season.

Offline metaldams

Well a smattering of MLB news today: Kershaw wins the NL Cy Young, Red Sox to meet with Valentine, Sveum to manage the Cubs and the biggest of all is the Astros will be moving to the AL by 2013 and there will be an extra wild card team in each league, perhaps as early as the upcoming season.

The Astros going to the AL will mean there has to be an Interleague series going on throughout the entire season.

Looks like Boston's now looking into Bobby Valentine.  I have no clue if it's still around, but I remember when I was a kid he owned a sports bar in Milford I used to see often.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Whats your Red Sox fans thinking on Theo Epstein? The Chicago media pretty much have this guy walking on water. He's been so hyped up that anything less than a world series championship next year will be considered a failure.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

Whats your Red Sox fans thinking on Theo Epstein? The Chicago media pretty much have this guy walking on water. He's been so hyped up that anything less than a world series championship next year will be considered a failure.

With draft picks and the farm system - awesome.  Expect more Starlin Castro's.

With free agents, he was good the first two years and pretty awful the last six, with a few exceptions.  Expect more Alfonso Soriano's.

Any Cubs fan who thinks they'll win it all next year is delusional.  When Theo went to Boston, he inherited a good team who needed some tweaks here and there.  The Cubs need an overhaul and as tough as it is to say to a fan base who hasn't won since 1908, they need to be patient.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

The Astros going to the AL will mean there has to be an Interleague series going on throughout the entire season.

You would love this:  Last series of the year -- Mets vs. Yankees.  Mets knock Yankees out of playoff spot.

MLB has those 2-game series to squeeze in the season a bit.  Next year, the Phillies host Houston May 14-15 and then go to Chicago for 2.  That wouldn't seem to work out very well for the teams involved in Interleague play when the time comes.

Offline falsealarms

Some somber news - 24 year old Mariners outfielder Greg Halman was stabbed to death, possibly by his own brother. Very sad. Halman was one of those super toolsy types who had a lot of potential but hadn't put it together yet. Long, lean and athletic, he was one of those players "you could dream on". Just an awful tragedy.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Wow that is awful news. Kind of the takes the wind of the "Verlander won the AL MVP" sails.

Offline metaldams

Some somber news - 24 year old Mariners outfielder Greg Halman was stabbed to death, possibly by his own brother. Very sad. Halman was one of those super toolsy types who had a lot of potential but hadn't put it together yet. Long, lean and athletic, he was one of those players "you could dream on". Just an awful tragedy.

Was that the kid who made that awesome home run robbing catch in his debut?

Very, very tragic indeed, especially if his brother did it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

You can find a zillion articles on the web, but it looks like it's being announced Bobby Valentine is the new Red Sox manager.

Tito was great for several years, but Valentine's more aggressive style is what this team needs now, so it seems.  Looking forward to see what happens, and I know I'll at least be entertained.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

....of course, the greater question we now must ponder - who will be the new analyst on Sunday Night Baseball?!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

It's a good hire. I was a Mets fan during his time there and remember him fondly. He knows how to win in a big market, having won about 53% of his games with the Mets. He's also the only manager to guide the Mets to the World Series since 1986, having done so in 2000. He had a good run in Japan after leaving the Mets.

Offline falsealarms

Drama already surrounds this hire -

One WEEI scribe says they should have kept Francona - http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/kirk-minihane/2011/11/30/end-sox-should-have-stuck-francona

An ESPN Boston story indicates some players won't be happy about the hire: http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7299027/source-bobby-valentine-type-not-boston-red-sox-early

Gammons rips Boston's handling of this and says Gene Lamont was "disrespected" - http://audio.weei.com/a/49117713/peter-gammons-mlb-insider.htm

Offline metaldams

Drama already surrounds this hire -

It's the Boston media, you can't expect anything less.
- Doug Sarnecky