Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2012 Baseball Thread

metaldams · 252 · 50036

Offline pcnj50a

Hats off to the Reds for doing one of the finest jobs of improv I've ever seen (despite them beating my favorite NL team). I rate their effort a Triple Curly.

Offline Whoa Moe

G. Gonzalez (21-8, 2.89) A. Wainwright (14-13, 3.94)
NATS
J. Werth
B. Harper, cf
R. Zinnerman 3b
A. LaRoche, 1b
M. Morse, lf
I. Desmond, ss
D. Espinosa, 2b
K. Suzuki, c
G. Gonzalez, p

St. Louis

J. Jay, cf
C. Betran, rf
M. Holliday, lf
A. Craig, 1b
Y. Molina, c
D. Freese, 3b
D. Descalso, 2b
P. Kozma, ss

Oakland and Detroit are slugging it out as I type, nothing much doing yet in my game.

Offline Whoa Moe

Well, the Cards could not hit shit in this loss....I hate Matt Holliday.

Offline Whoa Moe

The Cards dropped 26 on the Nats in their last 3 game series and came a hair from a sweep. Todays game was de javu. Garcia was pulled in the 2nd with a return of his shouder problem....he's prolly out for the year, opening the door for 18 game winner Lance Lynne. Holliday continues to suck. >:(

Looks like to me that either the Cards or the Reds will be in the WS.....with Baltimore, whom we have not faced since '46, when we shared the same ballpark. ;)

Offline Whoa Moe

Well, my stomach is in knots and my game is hrs. from starting....it may be a relief to finally lose an elimination game and just exhale!

As far as Yanks/O's I don't care who wins. But I will be glued to the set from the 7th on.

Offline metaldams

As far as competitive baseball goes, the first round of the playoffs was awesome.  Mostly close games, and all four series went to five games.  Awesome as far as that goes.

As far as actual results this season?  I'm a Red Sox fan who just watched the worst Red Sox team since 1965.  There were three phenomenal stories in Oakland, Baltimore, and Washington this year, and all three get eliminated in the division series.  Drew Storen had the eye of Schiraldi out there, and The Cardinals, to their credit, pull off another amazing comeback when they needed it the most.

Still, what am I left with?  My team was the worst in my lifetime, the Cinderella stories all suffer defeat, and of the four teams remaining, we have three of the last World Series champs.  Two of those teams have the most championships by far and one of them is my team's hated rival.  I can live with a Tigers victory, I mean, it's been what, 28 years?  Other than that though, there's really not much for me to enjoy.  Probably the least enjoyable baseball season of my life, and I hope some of you others are enjoying it more.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Oh my. We're one step closer to my own personal nightmare, a Yankees/Cardinals world series.  I don't know if I can even watch the rest of these playoffs. Fucking Drew Storen!
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Whoa Moe

Oh my. We're one step closer to my own personal nightmare, a Yankees/Cardinals world series.  I don't know if I can even watch the rest of these playoffs. Fucking Drew Storen!
Im amazed by the Cardinal hatered....2 WS wins in 25 years ....what

Offline metaldams

It's not that people hate the Cardinals, at least I don't.  However, 3 championships in 30 years is better than every team in baseball except the Yankees.  2 out of the last 6 WS championships also belong to you guys (better than any team), and you have the second most in MLB history.  Compare that to Texas, who's never won, Washington, the team's heart you just broke, whose city hasn't won a World Series since Walter Johnson was striking out Babe Ruth, the Indians, who haven't won since 1948, and your rival Cubs............need I say more?  You have to admit you guys have it pretty good and any fan whose team is eliminated rooting for the under priveliged franchise can do better than the Cardinals.

Also, as a Red Sox fan, as upset as I am about our season, I expect no non Boston fan to shed a tear for us in a post 2004/2007 world.  I would imagine you can at least understand why a non-Cardinals fan wouldn't be thrilled with another Cardinals win due to your success that beats everybody not named the Yankees.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Whoa Moe

OK Metal...I get  your frustration.....2 hour later I can't believe we won the game.

Offline Lefty

2009:  Phillies lose to Yankees.
2010:  Phillies lose to Giants.
2011:  Phillies lose to Cardinals.
2012:  Gotta root for Detroit.

The only good thing about the playoffs so far is that putz Scott Rolen struck out to end his team's season for the second time in three years -- and that was the only way I wanted the Reds to lose their series.

Had Raul Ibanez taken steroids last October instead of this year, the Phillies would have beaten St. Louis and delayed Ryan Howard's Achilles tear by another couple of days, and the Skankees would be meeting the Nationals in Philly to drown their sorrows.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Im amazed by the Cardinal hatered....2 WS wins in 25 years ....what

This is one small reason why you are so annoying, Boid. It's 2 WS wins in 5 years and possibly 3 in 6. Fuck you and the Cardinals, both annoy me.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
It's not that people hate the Cardinals, at least I don't.  However, 3 championships in 30 years is better than every team in baseball except the Yankees.  2 out of the last 6 WS championships also belong to you guys (better than any team), and you have the second most in MLB history.  Compare that to Texas, who's never won, Washington, the team's heart you just broke, whose city hasn't won a World Series since Walter Johnson was striking out Babe Ruth, the Indians, who haven't won since 1948, and your rival Cubs............need I say more?  You have to admit you guys have it pretty good and any fan whose team is eliminated rooting for the under priveliged franchise can do better than the Cardinals.

Also, as a Red Sox fan, as upset as I am about our season, I expect no non Boston fan to shed a tear for us in a post 2004/2007 world.  I would imagine you can at least understand why a non-Cardinals fan wouldn't be thrilled with another Cardinals win due to your success that beats everybody not named the Yankees.

Why you give that shitstain Boid the time of day is beyond me, I'm now actively rooting for anyone but the Yankees or Cardinals just so he has no joy this year.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Whoa Moe

Why you give that shitstain Boid the time of day is beyond me, I'm now actively rooting for anyone but the Yankees or Cardinals just so he has no joy this year.
Too late. My season is already made. I was convinced that we would lose the Wainwright start because he's gassed and everybody knows it. Plus, we are over due for some post season bad luck. It would be nice to get back to the WS but the way Matheny mismanaged this talent rich team we damn sure don't deserve it.

Cards are playing with house money again. BTW... i tried to get a bet with ALL of my baseball buddies betting on the GIANTS. (who I think will win in 6) but no bites.

On the Yanks: I'm sure the Yankee fans are freaking out, but I think they will play better with Jeter OUT. It may jumpstart them.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'm watching Game 3 of the ALCS as I'm typing this and I don't think it's Jeter they have to worry about with both Man Boobs and Swisher (no need for name alteration) both sucking so bad they are riding the pine while down 0-2 in the series and facing Verlander. I bet they are wishing they can get rid of some crazy contracts like the Sox did this year.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well, 3-0 Tigers with the next two in Detroit looks like it will be a Yankee Free World Series. I'll root for them in the Series no matter who wins the NLCS.

Offline metaldams

Well, 3-0 Tigers with the next two in Detroit looks like it will be a Yankee Free World Series. I'll root for them in the Series no matter who wins the NLCS.

The 2004 Red Sox watched MIRACLE for inspiration and it served them well.  Perhaps the Yankees need a feel good film that will inspire them out of their dire situation.  I propose 4 DAYS IN OCTOBER.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The 2004 Red Sox watched MIRACLE for inspiration and it served them well.  Perhaps the Yankees need a feel good film that will inspire them out of their dire situation.  I propose 4 DAYS IN OCTOBER.

Or if they are in the mood for silent films they could go with 1904's THE SWEEP.

Offline Whoa Moe

The Yanks have not hit this bad since '63 vs. the Koufax/Drysdale Dodgers....this team is in a major funk. I wonder what the Vegas odds are that they win the next 4? :-\

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I think they have a good chance of winning tonight with Sabbathia on the mound, although  Scherzer is no dog either. However I don't think they make it out of Detroit. In other news, basketball douche bag Kobe Bryant gave a pep talk to the Man With The Golden Bra (shout out for the 50th anniversary of Bond films and the upcoming Skyfall, which I am super jacked to go see in a couple weeks). Apparently this is big news and merits an article on espn.com.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

The Yankees are dead! 

Now the question is, will the days off waiting for the winner of the NLCS hurt the Tigers? I hope the Giants can come back and take the series, but I'll be rooting for the Tigers regardless of who comes out of the National League.

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Faeriegirl

• Shemp's Darling Dilly
  • Grapehead
  • Dreaming of Shemp
    • I Surf for the Freedom!!
The Yankees are dead! 

Now the question is, will the days off waiting for the winner of the NLCS hurt the Tigers? I hope the Giants can come back and take the series, but I'll be rooting for the Tigers regardless of who comes out of the National League.
I've always been a Detroit Tigers fangirl. They routed Yankees, I think for the second time in the teams history to get to the WS directly. But I am not completely sure on that. Ontop of that resting will indeed help instead of hurt the team because regardless who wins between STL/SF, the winner of that series has only a day or so to rest up before facing Detroit

What amazed me personally was the fact that Detroit barely allowed any runs in the last two games alone {two} overall six runs, I remember reading that Delman Young had "hit more times then the Yankees even scored!" whatever that meant, I think it is good though. Detroit is a good team, they got the Triple Crown winner {Go Miggy!} and Cy Young winner {Verlander's awesome!}

I for one look forwards to a very active World Series championship game series!
Shemp: Moe! Larry! Wait for me!! *hits himself with shovel*
~ Who Done It?

Offline metaldams

Ontop of that resting will indeed help instead of hurt the team because regardless who wins between STL/SF, the winner of that series has only a day or so to rest up before facing Detroit

Don't be so sure about that.  Sometimes when a team gets too much rest they come into a series rusty.  The 2007 Rockies had 8 days rest between the NLCS and World Series, had previously won 21 out of their last 22 games (!), and then got swept by Boston.  Hopefully Detroit will fair better, I'm rooting for them either way, as a Yankee collaspse is the only joy I got all year, and it's been what, 28 years for the Tigers?  They're due.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Faeriegirl

• Shemp's Darling Dilly
  • Grapehead
  • Dreaming of Shemp
    • I Surf for the Freedom!!
Don't be so sure about that.  Sometimes when a team gets too much rest they come into a series rusty.  The 2007 Rockies had 8 days rest between the NLCS and World Series, had previously won 21 out of their last 22 games (!), and then got swept by Boston.  Hopefully Detroit will fair better, I'm rooting for them either way, as a Yankee collaspse is the only joy I got all year, and it's been what, 28 years for the Tigers?  They're due.
At this point I am not sure about anything, seeing Tigers vs Cards is going to occur again, and the last time these two teams met the Tigers lost, the time before that, the Tigers had won. Baseball is the only sport I follow, and I root for my team, so far they have not let me down. Besides, being too sure of anything can lead to a letdown. as seen by the sweep of the Yankees, a very good team during the normal season. but then it started to show, they lost all four games to Detroit for a reason, the cracks in the foundation of the Yankees was showing what was really there, with Jeters ankle going to lunch on him, plus their batters in a blue funk unable to hit. iot showed the world what is really there, guys on the verge of needing to retire.

The good thing however, is that Jeters injury is not life ending! I myself am praying for his recovery to be as painless as possible. I saw the video of the injury occuring, and even then I felt for him, that really had to hurt the poor guy.

Detroit has done well so far, lets see how long they keep it up!

Cheers!
Shemp: Moe! Larry! Wait for me!! *hits himself with shovel*
~ Who Done It?

Offline Whoa Moe

Girl, I like the Tigers chances. I'm a Cards fan but I know you are due.