The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2012 Baseball Thread

metaldams · 252 · 50031

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Don't get me wrong, this is all entertaining as hell to watch, but in a "complete train wreck" kind of way.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Remember when the Yankee fans did that in game 6 in '04 after the Bellhorn home run and A-Rod bitch slapping the ball out of Arroyo's hands?  Debris on the field and the NYPD riot squad had to be called out.  I don't see a riot squad this time (?) and it appears there is more debris in this case.

Either way, what a joke of a game.

Yeah, there really is no place at all for this shit. I'll bet those tickets cost a pretty penny (never had a chance to go to a playoff game) but it doesn't give you the right to throw shit on the field. This is not boding well for the whole 5 team playoff thing.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

In this obscure American League game, Baltimore 6 outs away from beating Texas with a 2 run lead as I type.  I'm actually pulling for Baltimore.  After seeing them first hand being whipping boys for years and having a real tradition (unlike Tampa Bay), this is a feel good story.

In more obscure American League news, congrats to Miguel Cabrerra, being the 1st triple crown winner since Yaz in '67, which would be before I was born.  Appropriate a Red Sox was the last player, as this Red Sox team is also the worst of my lifetime.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Good game going on in Texas tonight. Much better than that mess from the National League. The Birds are only 3 outs away now.
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Good game going on in Texas tonight. Much better than that mess from the National League. The Birds are only 3 outs away now.

Jim Johnson's a tough closer too. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Joe Nathan is an awful post season pitcher.  It's nice to see another team besides the Yankees kick his ass for once.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Alright Orioles. Now go home and beat the fucking Yankees!  [cool]
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Alright Orioles. Now go home and beat the fucking Yankees!  [cool]

Wiser words were never spoken.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Boy, it's gotta suck to be a Texas fan. You gag away the division lead that put you into a one game playoff situation & now the Birds smoke you at home. Tough to swallow.

Offline Whoa Moe

It's too early for me to gloat, but I must say that getting to the next round is awsome.

But now I'm conflicted: I want to see the O's win the AL but  I want to face the YANKMEES! So I guess I have a win/win thing going.

Have no fear: The Cards will beat the Nats in 4.....and will beat the Reds in the NLCS, but if SF wins over the Reds.....I dont think we beat them.

As a baseball fan since I was 13, I never saw any shit like I saw last year in the final day of the season, and now Texas and Atl. come close again this year....I don't like the wild card thing, but I must admit that I have been thrilled....I thought I would have a heart attack in game 6 last year...TWICE.

Offline pcnj50a

When I was a wee lad in the 1960s, the Stooges were on TV in Baltimore three times a day. I wouldn't miss a single one, and the local stations would never disappoint me. When I went to school, everyone there knew exactly what to say when someone would mention Niagara Falls. Between local Stooges, we could usually pick up Channel 5 in DC so we could get interstitial Stooge fixes. Anyone my age from there was steeped in Stoogiana, and my wife's eyerolling notwithstanding, it is an integral part of me thanks to the environment in which I grew up.

This is a roundabout way of saying that even though I left Baltimore more than 35 years ago, succeeding administrations that were not Don Schaefer turned the city into a shithole, and the Evil Irsay (cursed be his name) single-handedly destroyed the greatest football team-fan love affair that ever existed, I still love Baltimore for what it was and still bleed Orioles Orange.

It was a marvelous evening.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
When I was a wee lad in the 1960s, the Stooges were on TV in Baltimore three times a day. I wouldn't miss a single one, and the local stations would never disappoint me. When I went to school, everyone there knew exactly what to say when someone would mention Niagara Falls. Between local Stooges, we could usually pick up Channel 5 in DC so we could get interstitial Stooge fixes. Anyone my age from there was steeped in Stoogiana, and my wife's eyerolling notwithstanding, it is an integral part of me thanks to the environment in which I grew up.

This is a roundabout way of saying that even though I left Baltimore more than 35 years ago, succeeding administrations that were not Don Schaefer turned the city into a shithole, and the Evil Irsay (cursed be his name) single-handedly destroyed the greatest football team-fan love affair that ever existed, I still love Baltimore for what it was and still bleed Orioles Orange.

It was a marvelous evening.

Welcome to the site. I think you are our first diehard O's fan, at least that I remember. You must have some fond memories of those O's back then (3 AL Pennants in a row 1969-1971 and a championship in 1970). Palmer,  and the two Robinson HOF'ers (Brooks and Frank) must have made for one hell of a time to grow up an Orioles fan.

That was the way baseball should be played, an excellent game to make up for the travesty of the NL WC. Now for my picks...

ALDS

Baltimore over New York in 4.  The best time to get rid of the Bronx Plague is the first round and there is no fuckin' way I'm picking the Yankees. Going purely with my heart here but I do believe the Orioles are more than capable of pulling off an upset and that the upset would not be as big as some people might think (the O's split the season series with NYY).

Detroit over Oakland in 5. This was a very difficult pick but I think Detroit's weak season record is a mirage and they are better than their 88 wins suggest. I'm not knocking Oakland and I wouldn't be shocked if the A's won, but as the old saying goes the cream rises to the top and with Justin Verlander and triple crown winner Miguel Cabrera for starters Detroit is "creamer". It's the time when elite players step up.

NLDS

Washington over St. Louis in 3. The Nationals, even if they are sitting Strausburg for some stupid reason, are a much better team and St. Louis didn't impress in that WC win. Let's hope the Nats don't shoot themselves in the foot and can get rid of this, to be blunt, shitty Cardinals team that would actually drive people away from watching the World Series were they somehow to make it.

Cincinnati over San Francisco in 5. I think this will be the best DS and it was the toughest to call personally. With an inexperienced Nationals team or a shitty Cardinals team awaiting the winner, whomever it is might be the pennant fav.

Before I forget, how shitty is it that the lower seeds get to start the DS at home?

Offline pcnj50a

Thank you. Die hard enough that I invoked the name of Don Stanhouse during some of Saunders' jams last night. Saw a bunch of games at Memorial Stadium starting in '64, Brooks Robinson's Annus Mirabilis. To my wife's distress (as if my Stooge fandom weren't distressful enough), I have a Chuck Thompson bobblehead on our fireplace mantle.

We seem to have finally shaken the curse that Angelos put on the team by firing Davey Johnson and Jon Miller. I really hope they end up in a World Series with the Giants (I was a Bay Area resident for nearly 15 years)...

Offline Lefty

Texas leads their division for 178 days, loses it on the last day of the season (actually, the last 3 days), and is eliminated in a one-game playoff.  Atlanta blows the wild card spot on the last day (the Phillies screwed up by beating them) last year; this year the Braves run away with the top wild card spot and are bounced out of the playoffs in one game.  This might not exactly be what Dud Selig and the owners thought about when they agreed to this extra "round" of playoffs.

I was at the bowling alley last night, just like any of 35 Fridays throughout the non-summer part of the year, this time bowling on lanes where there was a TV screen above the lanes between the scoreboards, and I happened to look up and see the Six Stooges huddling with each other, and a lot of junk on the field in Atlanta.  There is neither sound nor closed captioning on, so it took a while or three to figure out what was going on while I waited my turn to bowl.  I don't care for either team, but I think the Braves may have been somewhat shafted by the call.  Amazingly, neither Joe West nor C.B. Bucknor were involved.  Either way, this call was nothing compared to Bruce "Hermann Goering" Froemming's deliberate mistake that cost the Phillies a playoff game with the Dodgers in 1977.

Offline Lefty

Now for my prediction for the rest of the post-season:

It will be the Cardinals vs. Yankees in the World Series, and that's the bottom line, 'cause Fox says so!

That would be the absolute nightmare -- the A.L. team the vast majority of fans despise vs. the N.L. team -- well, even excluding last year's first round disaster, let's just say that whenever an umpiring crew leaves St. Louis, each member seems to have put on 10 pounds -- not that going from 250 to 260 makes much difference.  "Ein bier, bitte!"

Offline metaldams

Thank you. Die hard enough that I invoked the name of Don Stanhouse during some of Saunders' jams last night. Saw a bunch of games at Memorial Stadium starting in '64, Brooks Robinson's Annus Mirabilis. To my wife's distress (as if my Stooge fandom weren't distressful enough), I have a Chuck Thompson bobblehead on our fireplace mantle.

We seem to have finally shaken the curse that Angelos put on the team by firing Davey Johnson and Jon Miller. I really hope they end up in a World Series with the Giants (I was a Bay Area resident for nearly 15 years)...

As an old school Oriole fan, you may or may not realize that Boog Powell is very easy to meet these days.  He has his sausage/hot dog stand at Camden Yards and is always there giving free autographs at home games.  I met him, he's a nice guy.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline pcnj50a

I was lucky enough to have met Brooks a few times and he was always a real pleasure, didn't mind talking to you and was happy to answer questions I knew he'd been asked a million times. I felt like Chris Farley and he put me at ease. Fine person.

I only got to see one major league game live this year, Giants at Cubs, Lincecum pitching. One of his few really good outings this year, hope he steps it back up for the playoffs. Giants looked impressive, but I temper my enthusiasm by remembering that it WAS the Cubs.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Predictions: Oakland vs. Detroit. I like the Tigers in Game 1 with Verlander on the bump but for the series I'm taking Oakland in 5.

Red vs. Giants - Giants in 4.

Nats vs. Cardinals - I'm agnostic, but I have to say Dear Lord, please don't let the Cardinals make it to another World Series. I think I might puke if they do. Nats in 5.

Yankees vs. O's - O's in 5, hopefully.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Count me among the "No Yankees vs Cardinals Bangwagoneers". I was thinking about that prospect earlier and dreading it. If it is NYY/StL I will skip the Series for the third time (the first two being 2003 and 2009).

Offline Whoa Moe

I don't get all this hate for the Cardinals! WTF makes them the bad guys??! They have done amazing things concidering the shit La Russa put on them last year, and the most inane managing I ever saw this year with Matheny.

I won't go into detail, but trust me...the team wins in spite of the manager. As far as the WC thing goes: it IS a crock of shit, but don't blame it (or the umpiring) on the Cards. >:(

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I don't hate the Cardinals, I'm just a little tired of them. They have 11 rings, that's enough. It's time for some new blood in the World Series.

Offline metaldams

I don't hate the Cardinals, I'm just a little tired of them. They have 11 rings, that's enough. It's time for some new blood in the World Series.

I pretty much feel the same way.  Nothing but respect to the Cardinals and their fans and history, but I also want to see fresh blood.  A Orioles Vs. Nationals WS, what I would call the MASN World Series (for those who don't live in my area, MASN is the channel that shows both teams), would be beyond awesome.  Cardinals Vs. Yankees?  I wouldn't go as far as boycotting it, I mean, go Cardinals if that happens, but it would be disappointing to these those two teams face off.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
What "shit" are you blaming LaRussa for? They won the World Series if I recall.

Offline Whoa Moe

What "shit" are you blaming LaRussa for? They won the World Series if I recall.
You would have to have seen his day to day managing to understand...the national media was either blind to it, or chose to ignore it because he was a better story as "The man who invented baseball", as the Cincinatti anouncer calls him.