Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2012 Baseball Thread

metaldams · 252 · 50048

Offline Lefty

I've always said, that the best thing that can happen in sports is for a Philadelphia team to win.  The worst thing is for a New York team to win.  Concerning the Phillies and the Yankees, over the past several years there has been little difference between the teams, as they try to buy titles.  The problem is, the Yankees know who to buy (steroid abusers and umpires), while the Phillies buy over-the-hill has-beens and never-weres.  With interleague play being every day starting next year, I would love to see the faces of the league office and the network executives if the last day of the year, the Phillies have to beat an American League team to put themselves AND the Yankees in the playoffs.

Offline metaldams

I was having a discussion with a Yankees fan about this last night and basically said what you said. I made the argument that true fandom bonds are forged stronger during down periods and when you go through those down periods it makes the championships all that much sweeter and meaningful.

I have a Yankee fan friend (who follows the team regularly), and in 2009, I shit you not about the conversation we had.  It was paraphrased like this.

Me:  How can you go out when your team is in the World Series?  If the Red Sox are in, there's no way I'd be able to, I'd have to watch the game.

Friend: It's only game two, I'll get into it more as the series goes deeper.

That conversation really took place.  If that does not sum up being unappreciative, I don't know what does.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I have a Yankee fan friend (who follows the team regularly), and in 2009, I shit you not about the conversation we had.  It was paraphrased like this.

Me:  How can you go out when your team is in the World Series?  If the Red Sox are in, there's no way I'd be able to, I'd have to watch the game.

Friend: It's only game two, I'll get into it more as the series goes deeper.

That conversation really took place.  If that does not sum up being unappreciative, I don't know what does.

Through both Red Sox WS runs i watched every game from start to finish except Game 3 of the ALCS because it had become a blowout. Even then I checked in on it just to see what was going on. I don't understand that kind of mentality from someone who calls themselves a "true fan".
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Through both Red Sox WS runs i watched every game from start to finish except Game 3 of the ALCS because it had become a blowout. Even then I checked in on it just to see what was going on. I don't understand that kind of mentality from someone who calls themselves a "true fan".

I watched every game as well, INCLUDING the end of the blowout of game 3.  I remember joking with the company I was with that Boston would come back, not knowing what was to come ahead.  Hell, game 1 of the 2004 WS and game 3 of the 2007 WS took place while my ex was holding her annual Halloween party, and I insisted the game be on in the other room. Some of the other guys at the party in 2004 would also rather watch the game and we all got pissed when she turned off the game in the middle of a Red Sox rally becase it was time to bob for apples.   The only way I'd miss a World Series game is if it were a family emergency or something work related I absolutely could not get out of and even then I'd be checking in on my cell phone.

The thing with my friend is you don't need to put true fan in quotes, he is a true fan.  He knows the 25 man roster, who's pitching on any given night, top Yankee prospects, team history, etc.  I'm sure he followed game 2 on his phone, but I would never voluntarily go out during a World Series game when my team is involved.  His mentality stems from the fact he's seen 9 Yankee World Series as a fan and there even more in his lifetime that took place but he's too young to remember.  He's spoiled, that's the bottom line, but at least he saw the dog days of the late 60's/early 70's, and 80's - early 90's.  People slightly younger than us who are Yankee fans literally don't know what it's like to root for a losing team.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

If you're a Met fan or just enjoy the Mets misery or just want a good laugh listen to this:

http://cbsloc.al/Rj0Vry

WFAN's Mike Francesa goes on a classic tirade on the Mets. Sad thing is, he's generally right.

Offline metaldams

If you're a Met fan or just enjoy the Mets misery or just want a good laugh listen to this:

WFAN's Mike Francesa goes on a classic tirade on the Mets. Sad thing is, he's generally right.

The Mets need to unleash Jason Bay and Johan Santana to the Giants where the Giants take on 95% of their salaries.  Hey why not, it works for Boston.

So what do you guys think of the trade?  It's a video game trade and I can't believe it's getting done!  I think all players and teams involved need a fresh start, and Boston will be dumping major salary and have the ability to go with the kids or pursue other free agents.  If anything, they've hit the reset button for the most part and I'm looking forward to see what comes out of this.

But back to the Mets....if they really want to compete, they need to trade their top 3 prospects, whoever they may be, straight up for John Lackey.  While the mood is right, let's get 'er done.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

I'm glad I wasn't one of those suckers who bought into the Mets earlier this year when they were halfway decent. The team was never any good this year. What you see lately is more indicative. I can't look at them with rose colored glasses. They already took the Giants for a ride last summer, getting them to give up a stud pitching prospect (Wheeler) for a 2 month rental. The Giants didn't even get to the playoffs.

It's a great trade for Boston. Getting out from most of these salaries is huge. Crawford was never worth what he's getting, Gonzalez is overpaid, and Beckett's not the same guy anymore.

Allen Webster is a good pitching prospect, a potential #3 starter down the line. De La Rosa has an electric arm, but could be a better fit in the bullpen. DeJesus is probably a utility guy.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well let's see...smoking some herb I had to make sure I read the trade right; I couldn't believe it. It's a great trade for Boston, getting Loney and some good prospects. What's more telling is the enormous amount of salary they are dumping which means should there be any Grade A free agents in the obvious holes this trade leaves (an OF, preferably with power and starting pitching) they will obviously be in the market. I think ownership has made its choice to stick with Valentine.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Well let's see...smoking some herb I had to make sure I read the trade right; I couldn't believe it. It's a great trade for Boston, getting Loney and some good prospects. What's more telling is the enormous amount of salary they are dumping which means should there be any Grade A free agents in the obvious holes this trade leaves (an OF, preferably with power and starting pitching) they will obviously be in the market. I think ownership has made its choice to stick with Valentine.

Until a few days I ago, I thought there's a 0% chance Valentine stays, but after this video game trade of the ages, I bring the number up to 50%.  What this trade tells the players is no matter your contract or star status, nobody is guaranteed a spot and they need to continually earn that Boston uniform.

The salary dump aspect is awesome, and I hope ownership spends the money wisely this time around.  It's unusual a team gets a second chance like this.  I'm not a fan of getting Josh Hamilton as I feel the Boston media will destroy his already fragile psyche with the chance of a relapse (and for the record, I HATE the Boston media), but I do know Felix Hernandez in a Red Sox uniform seems like a great idea.

As far as the 2012 Red Sox, look, I don't mind losing as I have given up on this season.  That said, if they're gonna lose, can they at least have the decency to lose normal 5 - 4 or 7 - 2 games and not blow multi-6 run leads in a week.  Also, learn how to win an extra inning game at home, I think the team is 0 - 6 this year as far as that goes.  Just lose normally is all I ask.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

Now that was funny.  Not just the Noo Yawk accent (paging Ethelreda Leopold!), but what he said about the team.  I plan on forwarding this to Mets fans at work (maybe some Yankee fans too).

Offline Lefty

Well, that Boston-L.A. trade is one for the ages.  Of course, Rube the Boob, a/k/a Ruin Tomorrow Jr., would never do anything like that, because he would only want to overpay for has-beens while giving up tons of prospects.  Interestingly, now Josh Beckett and Hanley Ramirez are teammates.  And Shane Victorino will definitely be testing the free-agent market at the end of this season.

Offline Whoa Moe

My, what an AL discussion this is. One would think that the NL is less than an after thought. I know that the Phils are a dark horse, but I give them a 50/50 chance of getting a wild card berth.

If the floundering Cards can cling to a spot, they will be very hard to beat in a 5 game series, and my very well win the NLCS agaain. SF may be the best team in the NL (no disrespect Nats)

My point is that the NL will win the WS no matter WHO represents the AL. The best team in baseball could not win it 2 years in a row. The Jonah is on them.

Ahem...just my opinion. (Oops! I forgot to mention the Braves) For a reason. ;)

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Ignoring the outdated "Al/NL debate" that Boid Brain is babbling about (by the way Boid, if you even so much as break wind without excusing yourself you will promptly be thrown out on your ass with no warning whatsoever...I should just ban you now but I'm in an uncharacteristically charitable mood) I thought I'd prognosticate and hopefully remove from my mind all memories of the 2012 Boston Red Sox.

Wild Card:

Orioles over Rangers: Josh Hamilton is a self-righteous, Bible banging junkie who is vastly overrated and if I were Grand Dictator of the United States I would force Mexico to take Texas back. I'm sorry Texans, but "ass-backwards" only begins to describe your screwy state. The Rangers have lost the last two World Series' and I hope they never win one. They are backing into the playoffs while the O's have shocked the baseball world by not only getting in but nearly taking the division from the Whores in the Bronx. They are one of the "fresh blood" teams that help make this year's postseason more intriguing, and although Baltimore is no Paradise (once you leave the Inner Harbor area you enter a warzone) I'm going to say they will beat the Rump Rangers 8-4. Clap clap clap FUCK TEXAS!

Braves over Cardinals: If another slightly above mediocre Cardinals team (without Pujols mind you) somehow manages to win the WS again and no one outside St. Louis gives a flying fuck do they really win anything? As much as I hate to pick a Deep South team the Braves are much better than the Cards and should win easily. Key word is "should".

After the games tomorrow I'll look at the DS round.

Offline Whoa Moe

It's true that the Braves starter is a beast, with them winning like 23 strait games when he's started, but the Cards have no slob on the mound, Lohse, with a 16 and 3 record.

The Cards have the better offence and have been bolstered @ SS with the addition of farmhand Kosmos, the Homerin' Hungarian, taking the place of the futile Furcal. Only played in Sept, but has all the regulars beat in OPS and slugging %

I hope somebody is around tomorro (today) to chat about the game with me while it's on.

Offline metaldams

I'll second Jim's picks.

Baltimore, while division rivals of my team, are really easy to admire and I'm happy for them.  The amount of one run and extra inning wins for this team is incredible, so with their proven ability to win when it counts, I give my pick to Baltimore.  Texas has proven to be a great team who chokes when it counts, so if they do beat Baltimore, I imagine it will improve their moral.

I'll barely give the nod to Atlanta over St. Louis, but this can go either way.  May possibly be Chipper Jones's last game.

Ultimately though, anybody but the Yankees.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

The Braves, if they can get past this one game playoff, should be a dangerous team with that starting rotation & I would give them the edge over the Nationals because they would get the first two games in Atlanta. Of course, this is all a moot point if they don't beat the Cardinals and I hope they do.

As for the AL wild card, I don't care who wins, I just hope the winner beats the hell out of the Yankees.
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Whoa Moe

Odd...I HATE the Yankees and that's why I hope we meet them in the WS, but if the Cards don't make it I gotta pull for whatever NL team does.

K. Lohse (16-3, 2.86) K. Medlen (10-1, 1.57)  TBS 4PM est
St. Louis

J. Jay cf
C. Beltran rf
M. Holliday lf
A.Craig 1b
Y. Molina c
D. Freese 3b
D. Descalso 2b
P. Kozma ss
K. Lohse p

Atlanta

M. Bourn cf
M. Prado lf
J. Heyward rf
C. Jones 3b
F. Freeman 1b
D. Uggla 2b
d. Ross c
A. Simmons ss
K. Medlen p

Offline metaldams

Jim, when the Red Sox were playing Baltimore a couple of weekends ago, were you rooting for Baltimore so they could have a better chance of beating the Yanks in the division?  I was.  While I was pulling for certain young Red Sox players to have good performances, overall I figured the Orioles beating Boston would do more for my hate of the Yankees than my love for Boston.  It sucked to be in that position, and when I explained my dilemma to an Orioles friend fan, he says, "Welcome to my past 15 years."

PS:  I can tell I'm going to be bombarded by Springsteen this post-season.  Like my baseball season hasn't been miserable enough.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Whoa Moe

Chipper sails a possible DP throw and the Cards take advantage...3-2 Cards in the 4th

Offline metaldams

Chipper sails a possible DP throw and the Cards take advantage...3-2 Cards in the 4th

After hearing Kyle Lohse's post season career numbers, I wouldn't get too comfortable yet.  Good game so far, though.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
This game is terrible, lol. If the Cards win it all then I say MLB should launch an investigation on whether or not St. Louis is somehow poisoning their opponents. Atlanta is giving a whole new meaning to "shitting the bed", kinda reminds me of the '06 Cards run. I gotta tell you the truth Doug, I haven't watched very meant games at all and I kinda gave up on the Sox when it felt like they gave up on themselves, which was very early on. I didn't really care who won and am only watching now as a detached observer hoping anyone but New York wins.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'm stoned off my ass on some high grade shit and I know that was a terrible call. Bullshit on the Braves fans for showing themselves to be unruly rednecks.

Offline Whoa Moe

Amazing developement there....replay showed that the Ump did signal an out....Kozma fooled him into thinking it was an easy catch I guess.....this is turning into a comedy of errors!

Offline metaldams

I'm stoned off my ass on some high grade shit and I know that was a terrible call. Bullshit on the Braves fans for showing themselves to be unruly rednecks.

Remember when the Yankee fans did that in game 6 in '04 after the Bellhorn home run and A-Rod bitch slapping the ball out of Arroyo's hands?  Debris on the field and the NYPD riot squad had to be called out.  I don't see a riot squad this time (?) and it appears there is more debris in this case.

Either way, what a joke of a game.
- Doug Sarnecky