Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2012 Baseball Thread

metaldams · 252 · 50032

Offline Lefty

I was listening to the Phillies' game on the way home when Uncle Cholly got tossed by that clown who should never have been given his job back (okay, there were 22 of them in 1999 who never should have been allowed near a baseball field again), and as it turned out, that did not cost the team.  The refusal of said clown to call strike 3 on Jordan Schafer in the 9th inning, which turned into a double, which turned into a tie game, which cost Cliff Lee a win, fortunately did not harm the Phillies.

Either way, it's time to stop treating these 300-pound slobs like those 9 black-robed beauties in D.C. and make them accountable -- too many mistakes, too much instigation, and Donald Trump should come down to home plate and say, "You're fired!"

Offline Curly4444

Congratulations Johan Santana and the Mets, on your first No-Hitter in franchise history.

Offline metaldams

Congratulations Mets, on your first No-Hitter.

....and to False for getting a chance to live through one.  So glad it happened, The Mets were a tad overdue.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

....and to False for getting a chance to live through one.  So glad it happened, The Mets were a tad overdue.

Yes, very over due indeed. Wonder if this was the first no-hitter of the season?

Congrats to falsealarms too.  :D  I'm glad our team could help you out. lol  :P

Offline metaldams

Offline falsealarms

I never thought it would happen. So many former Mets have managed to throw one... Humber, Nomo, Ryan 7 times, Gooden, Cone, Seaver.... but never as a Met.

I'm lucky I saw it on TV tonight. I wasn't watching the game, but just happened to hop online to check the scores and it was the 8th inning and there was an alert that the Mets had a no hitter going. So I turned it on just in time for the 9th and couldn't believe it finally happened. Even with two outs, I figured something would go wrong. But I was proven wrong. It only took the franchise 8,020 games. A couple of the outs in the 9th looked like potential bloop hits, but they were caught. Apparently, a foul call earlier in the game should have been a hit, but most no-no's have close calls like that.

Just based on the TV broadcast, there was an energy in that crowd that I haven't sensed in a longtime. The past few years have been filled with a lot of misery.

What Santana has done this year after major shoulder surgery has been nothing short of remarkable. He's hardly missed a beat.

Final out: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=21938903&c_id=mlb

Controversial fair/foul call: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=21935393&c_id=mlb

Hit saving catch by Mike Baxter: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=21940177

Offline Curly4444

More like the 3rd. 

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/news/humber_perfectgame/index.jsp

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/news/weaver_nohitter/index.jsp

Wow, three already and were not even half way thru the season. Seven is the record for a season. We could beat that record?

1991 (5 individual and 2 combined)
May 1 ? Nolan Ryan, Texas def. Toronto, 3-0.
May 23 ? Tommy Greene, Philadelphia def. Montreal, 2-0.
July 13 ? Bob Milacki (6), Mike Flanagan (1), Mark Williamson (1) and Gregg Olson (1), Baltimore def. Oakland, 2-0.
July 28 ? x-Dennis Martinez, Montreal def. L.A. Dodgers, 2-0.
Aug. 11 ? Wilson Alvarez, Chicago White Sox def. Baltimore, 7-0.
Aug. 26 ? Bret Saberhagen, Kansas City def. Chicago White Sox, 7-0.
Sept. 11 ? Kent Mercker (6 innings), Mark Wohlers (2) and Alejandro Pena (1) vs. San Diego, 1-0.

Offline Curly4444

I'm lucky I saw it on TV tonight. I wasn't watching the game.

I dont blame you, the cards are very boring to watch lately. ::)

Offline falsealarms

The Mets haven't been "must see TV" in awhile, but tonight goes to prove you never know what a baseball game is going to bring.

Offline Lefty

It's about time Los Mets got a no-no, eh?  I'm glad it wasn't done against the Phillies.  Now San Diego is the only team in search of one, but only because that nitwit manager in 1970, Preston Gomez, pulled Clay Kirby from one against the Mets after 8 innings because the Padres trailed 1-0.  The Mets then got 4 hits and 2 more runs in the 9th inning.  Gomez said after the game that he "was trying to win the ballgame," even though the Padres were 39 games out of first place on July 21st.

Offline Lefty

Last Friday, Johan Santana had a no-hitter all by himself.  Last night, 6 Seattle pitchers combined for one against the Dodgers.  Last night, the Phillies won for the first time since last Friday (and beat an A.L. team at that).  So I reckon we'll need a no-hitter each day the Phillies play for them to win this month.  (And that would be no surprise the way this team is going.)

Offline Shemp Shady

On the night that the Dodgers were no-hit, I was at a game at which one of the Dodgers’ opening-day starters—third baseman Juan Uribe—went 2 for 3 with a triple and a homer. This was in a rehab start with the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes. Uribe, both at the plate and in the field, seemed ready to rejoin the Boys in Blue—who could certainly have used his bat on Friday!
Eet ees a klasseek!!

Offline falsealarms

Looks like Youkilis has been moved to the White Sox. Any Boston fans here sad to see him go?

I'm not a Boston fan, but it was time to give full reign to Middlebrooks and Youkilis had to go... the arrangement with Youkilis at first and Gonzalez in RF made little sense, as Gonzalez is one of the best defensive first baseman. It doesn't seem like Youkilis is the same player he was a few years ago, either.

On another note, this Mets team has genuinely surprised me. That they're 39-33 is a big surprise - if they were 33-39, I would have been surprised. This is a team that was widely picked to finish last, including by me. The lineup isn't that good, and the bullpen is leaky, but it goes to show that good starting pitching (Dickey, Santana, Niese, Gee) can give you a chance most days. I'm still skeptical about this team but they've been better than expected so far.

Offline metaldams

Looks like Youkilis has been moved to the White Sox. Any Boston fans here sad to see him go?

I'm not a Boston fan, but it was time to give full reign to Middlebrooks and Youkilis had to go... the arrangement with Youkilis at first and Gonzalez in RF made little sense, as Gonzalez is one of the best defensive first baseman. It doesn't seem like Youkilis is the same player he was a few years ago, either.

On another note, this Mets team has genuinely surprised me. That they're 39-33 is a big surprise - if they were 33-39, I would have been surprised. This is a team that was widely picked to finish last, including by me. The lineup isn't that good, and the bullpen is leaky, but it goes to show that good starting pitching (Dickey, Santana, Niese, Gee) can give you a chance most days. I'm still skeptical about this team but they've been better than expected so far.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head concerning Youk and Middlebrooks, even throwing in the fact it was forcing Gonzalez in right field.  It's a move that had to be done, and while I'm sad to see Youk go, I'm excited about Middlebrooks just the same.  I'm glad Youk got that last at bat triple and the send off by the Fenway crowd, and shit, the only game I attended this past decade in Fenway, Youk tied the game with one out left in the 9th and won it in the 11th.  So yeah, lots of good memories.  I hope both players succeed.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
Sad to see Youk go, he was one of my favorites.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline JazzBill

I sure am glad the Red Sox decided to dump Kevin Youkilis. He's been outstanding since coming to Chicago. We had no real 3rd baseman to speak of till he got here.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

I sure am glad the Red Sox decided to dump Kevin Youkilis. He's been outstanding since coming to Chicago. We had no real 3rd baseman to speak of till he got here.

Yeah, I'm happy for Youk.  I can't place my finger on it, but there's something about the Red Sox culture these past few years where so many players don't succeed in Boston but do fine elsewhere.  Even the players we trade, Lowrie and Reddick are doing great for Houston and Oakland.

My parents were at the night game in Fenway, glad to see they got a win.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

My version of your quote, Metaladams:

I can't place my finger on it, but there's something about the [insert Philly team name here] culture these past few years where so many players don't succeed in Philadelphia but do fine elsewhere. 

Ask the L.A. Kings, St. Louis Cardinals, and others about that.

Offline Lefty

Anybody want Rube "The Boob" Amaro?  How about "Chucklehead" Cholly Manuel?  Rich "Booby" Dubee?  Greg "That's So" Gross?  Juan "The Met" Samuel?

$5 each, or all 5 for $49.95 -- cheep!

Offline Curly4444

Offline JazzBill

Cubs suck!

"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline falsealarms

Following a questionable call, a minor league stadium DJ plays THREE BLIND MICE (a song we all know....) and the ump ejects the DJ.

SEE: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/329916

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well the BoSox have been "under-performing" to say the least ("sucking ass" is more apt) and the Phillies (who have a strong following on the site) have somehow been even worse, but I wanted to give a shout-out to Mar-Jean and any other fans of the Pittsburgh Pirates for the excellent season they have been having. Talk about some deserving fans who have had to suffer through season after season of awful. If the season ended today the Pirates would be Wild Card #2 playing the Braves in Atlanta and I for one hope they do reach the postseason.

I may be in the minority but while I'm surprised that the Washington Nationals have baseball's best record so far I am not shocked that they are a playoff contender. They have had years of top 5 draft picks and have drafted well. I can't really cheer for them though since I still think the city of Montreal got hosed and with the Baltimore Orioles (another team that if the season ended today would surprisingly be in the WC game) already long established in the market I don't think DC needed a MLB team. All in all it is nice to see some blood in the postseason mix; now we can only get rid of certain fucktacular team in the Bronx.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

In a sense I'm OK with Boston doing bad because I understand teams should have rough stretches, and 3 years in a row without a playoff spot qualifies as a semi rough stretch.  People can point to Bobby Valentine, Ben Cherrington, Henry, Lucchino, beer, chicken, team meetings, injuries, etc. all they want, but the bottom line is this team can't pitch at all or hit in clutch situations.  Period.  As a Yankee hater, this 17 playoffs in 18 years is growing beyond obnoxious, and even the one year they didn't make the playoffs, which was 2008, they weren't a bad team.  I yearn for the day when the Yankees will struggle to be a .500 team in August, and it's sad to think there's now an entire generation of Yankee fans who don't know that feeling.

As for Pittsburgh, Washington, and Baltimore, I hope they all make the playoffs and nothing would make me happier, barring a miraculous Boston comeback, then to see Baltimore sweep the Yanks in the division series.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I was having a discussion with a Yankees fan about this last night and basically said what you said. I made the argument that true fandom bonds are forged stronger during down periods and when you go through those down periods it makes the championships all that much sweeter and meaningful. None of the Yankees championships mean a thing compared to (in the past decade alone) the Angels in '02, Red Sox in '04, White Sox in '05, Phillies in '08 and Giants in '10. Heck, the last two championships in particular are meaningless. They are championships without value because since they lost their minds and have spent obscene amounts of payroll they have been expected to win practically every year. The most meaningful accomplishment the Yankees have had since the "aughts" is the spectacular way in which they lost the 2004 ALCS. Now they have a bunch of pretentious fans who are not really connected to this team.

Sports franchises need the ups and downs and sports should be cyclical. Today's top teams fall and switch places with today's bottom teams tomorrow. Sure you have the occasional dynasty, but even that dynasty falls and becomes a cellar dweller.  Spending obscene amounts of money to counteract that flow hurts baseball (or other sports) because while the Yankees are spending to always contend someone has to suffer. I'm not saying the Yankees or other high payroll teams are the reason why the Royals continuously suck, but they are a contributing factor.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown