Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2012 Baseball Thread

metaldams · 252 · 50033

Offline metaldams

You know what folks, I just realized that since the Cardinals beat Texas and won #11, the 2011 season is officially over and any baseball things going forward will begin to effect the 2012 season, so I think it's time to start a new thread. 

I don't expect this to completely pick up until the spring, but there are off season moves which we can discuss here.

D-Lowe to Cleveland, LaRussa retires on top, and in a move that has sent shockwaves throughout the sports world, the Red Sox have picked up Marco Scutaro's option (and all kidding aside, I do think that seems like a good move).

I know Jim remembers this game we used to play on Stoogeworld where we'd predict games and do a competition, and I'd like to restart that again for 2012.  More info in the upcoming months, but hopefully enough of us will participate.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
At 883 replies the 2011 thread is not only by far the biggest baseball thread of all time but also the second biggest thread in threestooges.net history. Big props to Doug, false, Quad 4's, Justin and everyone else who had a hand in that; I find that to be quite remarkable.

Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin was interviewed for the Red Sox manager spot. He's got the credentials but I wonder if he has the temperament the Sox NEED right now. According to the article on ESPN.com Dale Sveum is another candidate. Having more knowledge of Sveum I think he's all wrong for the position at this moment. I just hope they resolve the managerial spot quickly so they can move on to player issues.

CC makes a money grab, opting out of then signing a new contract with the Yankees. I think it's disgusting and the Yankees are fools for offering such deals (as they did Gay-Rod Bitchtits).
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

At 883 replies the 2011 thread is not only by far the biggest baseball thread of all time but also the second biggest thread in threestooges.net history. Big props to Doug, false, Quad 4's, Justin and everyone else who had a hand in that; I find that to be quite remarkable.

Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin was interviewed for the Red Sox manager spot. He's got the credentials but I wonder if he has the temperament the Sox NEED right now. According to the article on ESPN.com Dale Sveum is another candidate. Having more knowledge of Sveum I think he's all wrong for the position at this moment. I just hope they resolve the managerial spot quickly so they can move on to player issues.

CC makes a money grab, opting out of then signing a new contract with the Yankees. I think it's disgusting and the Yankees are fools for offering such deals (as they did Gay-Rod Bitchtits).

Unless if it's somebody who's a household name, I probably won't have much opinion on the Red Sox manager until the games begin.  I'm still interested to find out who he is and like you, just want to find a guy so player issues can be resolved.

If this game I have planned works out, the 2012 thread might get more posts than the 2011.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Unless if it's somebody who's a household name, I probably won't have much opinion on the Red Sox manager until the games begin.  I'm still interested to find out who he is and like you, just want to find a guy so player issues can be resolved.

If this game I have planned works out, the 2012 thread might get more posts than the 2011.

I think these Sox need more of a dictator than an easy-going sort like Francona or LaRussa. To be honest I'd like to see them have an older, more crotchety manager.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

I think these Sox need more of a dictator than an easy-going sort like Francona or LaRussa. To be honest I'd like to see them have an older, more crotchety manager.

I basically said what I'm about to say in another post, but I'm a believer in chemistry, and while Francona was great with the media over the years, I also think the Red Sox currently need a stricter manager and have needed one the past few seasons.  The team is great when we're scoring 8 runs an inning, but whenever fundamental baseball is needed in an extra inning game, more times than not the team falls short.  We also lack a comeback ability, only winning 2 games all season after trailing after 7?  Pitiful.

Tito was great for years, and I'll always admire him, but it's definitely time for a change, and we really do need a stricter type who preaches fundamentals.  If Ortiz gets resigned, I would not mind seeing him chewed out for lackadasically running out a grounder like he always does.  There's no excuse for that.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

"It's not about the money, C.C. said.  Maybe because it's only $100 a pound -- or is that 20 minutes to a pound?  Ha, ha, we'll be here a month.

If someone paid me $30 million, I'd root for the Yankees.

Offline falsealarms

Too bad Pinella retired... he'd fit the old and crochety mold.

Larry Bowa also comes to mind.

Offline metaldams

If someone paid me $30 million, I'd root for the Yankees.

For me, it'd have to be at least 15 years, 30 million a year, a fan option for another 3 years, and an offering of Cindy Crawford for a weekend every year the Yanks don't make the World Series.  Nothing less will do.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

For me, it'd have to be at least 15 years, 30 million a year, a fan option for another 3 years, and an offering of Cindy Crawford for a weekend every year the Yanks don't make the World Series.  Nothing less will do.

LOL thats a hell of a deal, if i wasn't already a fan I would take it in a heartbeat.

So Cashman stays and CC stays, a good start to the offseason for the Yankees. CC could have gotten
more money but at least it wasn't some drawn out drama like when A-Rod got his second and obscenely huge and ridiculous contract.

What is with all this talk about Ortiz thinking about coming to Yankees? Is this just wild rumors or is there something to it? I just dont see it, but weirder things have happened.

If it happened, would it be considered a big knife in the back to Red Sox fans?
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline Curly4444

I think shemps#1 will like this??

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I think shemps#1 will like this??

Ha! Tweedle-Dum and Tweedle-Dumber looking all sad. The combined IQ of those two doesn't reach double-digits.

I haven't heard anything about Papi joining the Yankees, and all of this conjecture always comes up whenever a big Red Sox star reaches free agency, ever since Boggs did it back in the day. Now it's just there to bring more heat to an already heated rivalry. Would I be upset if he joined the Skanks? Yes. Do I think it will happen? No.

Offline Curly4444

R.I.P Bob Forshe. Great baseball player, he will be missed.

Offline falsealarms

I think he just threw out the first pitch before game 7 too.

Offline Curly4444

I think he just threw out the first pitch before game 7 too.
Yeah, he did.

Looked fine at that point. Probably was a heart-attack.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
From the "Where Are They Now?" files:

Former Red Sox GM Dan Duquette is set to become the new GM of the Baltimore Orioles. Good luck dealing with one of the dumbest owners in team sports.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The Hot Stove starts to heat up with Yankees GM Brian Cashman (has there ever been a more ironically perfect name for someone with the job title Yankees GM?) kicking off talks with Rangers free agent Starter CJ Wilson. Wilson is considered the best free agent Starter on the market; if that's so then the pickings are slim this year.

I can see the Yankees grabbing him but my fear is not that it will make their rotation "so much better" but rather they will set the market curve by vastly over-paying for him. Sure he had a good regular season but he shit the bed in the playoffs with the Rangers getting as far as they did DESPITE Wilson not because of him. On an ideal rotation he is middle of the rotation at best.

Offline metaldams

The Hot Stove starts to heat up with Yankees GM Brian Cashman (has there ever been a more ironically perfect name for someone with the job title Yankees GM?) kicking off talks with Rangers free agent Starter CJ Wilson. Wilson is considered the best free agent Starter on the market; if that's so then the pickings are slim this year.

I can see the Yankees grabbing him but my fear is not that it will make their rotation "so much better" but rather they will set the market curve by vastly over-paying for him. Sure he had a good regular season but he shit the bed in the playoffs with the Rangers getting as far as they did DESPITE Wilson not because of him. On an ideal rotation he is middle of the rotation at best.

1.) In baseball, tie goes to the runner.  Yes, Cashman is an appropriate name for the Yankees, just as McPhail is appropriate for the Orioles.  It does look like Duquette is now the O's new GM, though.

2.) I hope Boston stays the hell away from Wilson.  The thing is, though, the guy murders the Red sox, though the last time the Yankees got a Red Sox killer, his name was A.J. Burnett, so perhaps they should get Wilson after all!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Odds are anyone who signs Wilson will regret it. He's a solid mid-rotation starter, but that's as far as I go with him. He's definitely not any kind of #1 (or #2) starter. Some guys I just don't trust and he's one of them... not my money though. Wouldn't be shocked if his ERA is near 4.00 next year.

He's not the best guy on the market, but the best "value" might be Edwin Jackson. At 28 (recently turned), he's younger the most (or all) of the top FA SP. Hard thrower, still some untapped upside IMO. I'd rather give Jackson 3 at 10-12 a year than Wilson 5 yrs /80 M (which I could see him getting).

PS - Maybe it was discussed earlier (a quick search indicated it wasn't) but has anyone seen MONEYBALL? Probably going to see it at a second-run theatre tomorrow night. FWIW, Seinfeld tweeted last month that it's his favorite movie of all time now.

Offline Lefty

C.J. Wilson should join the Yankees.  That way, C.J. would fit in the rotation with C.C. and A.J., and maybe they can get R.A. Dickey and D.J. Carrasco to round out the rotation.  Then they can hire J.R. Richard as pitching coach; have U.L. Washington play shortstop, and B.J. Upton in the outfield.  Then W.B. Mason, P.C. Richard and Son, and L.L. Bean can be the Yankees' main advertisers; M.C. Hammer can do the national anthem, the Yankees can raise ticket prices to make a lot of E.Z. Money, ...

Offline falsealarms

Great trade for KC, swapping Melky Cabrera to SF for Jonathan Sanchez. Cabrera was basically a good 4th outfielder prior to this past season. Maybe the breakout was for real, maybe not... I'm hesitant to believe it was. Sanchez is a 29 year old lefty with more strikeouts than innings pitched in his major league career.  He's erratic, but a guy I'd definitely take a chance on. Only one year removed from a 200 K season. SF did need a bat, but I think they'll be disappointed in what they get from Cabrera.

Offline metaldams

Great trade for KC, swapping Melky Cabrera to SF for Jonathan Sanchez. Cabrera was basically a good 4th outfielder prior to this past season. Maybe the breakout was for real, maybe not... I'm hesitant to believe it was. Sanchez is a 29 year old lefty with more strikeouts than innings pitched in his major league career.  He's erratic, but a guy I'd definitely take a chance on. Only one year removed from a 200 K season. SF did need a bat, but I think they'll be disappointed in what they get from Cabrera.

Believe it or not, KC had a good line-up this year, pitching was their issue.  I don't think Melky will get the same protection with SF he got in KC, even with Posey back in the line-up.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Horrible move for the Giants. Cabrera is a complete waste who just had the best season he will ever have (and it was "good" not "great"). Sanchez is just entering his prime and will help out the Royals immensely.

Offline falsealarms

If Sanchez rebounds to what he did in 09 and 10, he'll net KC more than Melky if they move Sanchez at the deadline next summer. Free agent in a year. The Giants sold low on their guy and KC sold high on theirs.

I did see MONEYBALL tonight. For what it's worth, I thought it was pretty good. I'd give it a solid B. Worth watching at least once.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
If Sanchez rebounds to what he did in 09 and 10, he'll net KC more than Melky if they move Sanchez at the deadline next summer. Free agent in a year. The Giants sold low on their guy and KC sold high on theirs.

I did see MONEYBALL tonight. For what it's worth, I thought it was pretty good. I'd give it a solid B. Worth watching at least once.

I do want to see that movie. I usually like Jonah Hill, well except for that awful cartoon on FOX.

Offline falsealarms

Rumors have Madson nearing a 4 year / 44 M deal with the Phillies. Not a smart move, IMO. That's a lot of years (and a lot of dollars) to give to a closer, especially considering how volatile most closers are.