Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Women of the Stooge shorts

Offline archiezappa

But if you want to go by best looking, some of my favorites are:  Nanette Bordeaux, Ethelreda Leopold, and Ruth Godfrey, just to name a few.

Offline metaldams

But if you want to go by best looking, some of my favorites are:  Nanette Bordeaux, Ethelreda Leopold, and Ruth Godfrey, just to name a few.

Ethelreda Leopold was definitely attractive, and she always seems to show up as an extra in lots of non-Stooge films.  Again, while not exclusively, I like the taller ones, so Ms. Leopold defintely qualifies.  Still, Barbara Slater is the queen of stauesque beauties in Stooge shorts.  She also played the flower shop girl in Chaplin's MONSIEUR VERDOUX.

I also have a thing for redheads, and have always regretted choosing metaldams as a moniker and not Octopus Grabus.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

I also have a thing for redheads, and have always regretted choosing metaldams as a moniker and not Octopus Grabus.

Actually, I'm surprised that no one has used that moniker, yet.

Dog Hambone

Yes!  Christine McIntyre wins, hands down.  Another woman who could keep up well with the Stooges was Symona Boniface.  She was a perfect foil for the boys.  In fact, I've heard people compare her to Margaret Dumont.  Symona Boniface was to the Stooges what Margaret Dumont was to the Marx Brothers.  If the Stooges had starred in more features, Symona Boniface would have been a perfect leading lady like Margaret Dumont.  Anyone else agree?

Definitely. I agree with you 100%.

McIntyre & Boniface differed in age & looks, but I always thought they were both very good actresses with great comic timing. They were both real assets in all of the shorts in which they appeared, & the Stooges were lucky to have them.

One of the all time best scenes in any of the shorts is McIntyre letting Shemp have it after she finds out he isn't Cousin Basil in BRIDELESS GROOM.

Offline archiezappa

One of the all time best scenes in any of the shorts is McIntyre letting Shemp have it after she finds out he isn't Cousin Basil in BRIDELESS GROOM.

That's also one of my all-time favorite scenes!  Good call!

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

I regret not having thought of that scene earlier. It is an excellent one.

Offline Rich Finegan

Since nobody has guessed (even incorrectly) the lady on the Beverly Hills Hotel diving board, how about if I give a hint?
She was in two Three Stooges shorts then went on to become a leading lady at another studio.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I'm gonna take a wild guess & say Norma Randall....
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Lefty

Sherry O'Neill played the girl in the magician's box who all the guys were whistling at and walking after with their hands behind their backs in Fiddlers' Three and Musty Muscatels -- uh, Musketeers.  You would never think that was the same woman who played the cat's-eyeglasses-wearing, temperamental, PIA to Commander McHale in a McHale's Navy episode in 1962.  Then again, Jean Willes was in two episodes of that show, looking much different from Miss Shapely and Miss Scudder.

But overall, Christine McIntyre, is my #1 favorite amongst the Stooges' women.  "The niece is nice!"

Offline garystooge

Time's up guys....it's the lovely Adele Mara (Back From the Front, I Can Hardly Wait)

Here's a much easier one

[attachment deleted by admin]

Just so that it is not forgotten that this thread is about all memorable women in the Stooges' shorts, not just the beautiful ones, I am posting a screen shot to remind us of a notable minor player: Blanche Payson as the very large woman with whom Curly dances in Hoi Polloi. She repeatedly bounces her belly against his, knocking him to the floor, from which he bounces back up on the sofa spring that is stuck into his behind. After one of his spills pulls her down with him, she takes offense and slaps him in the face. He slaps her back, she slaps him back, and so on for another round, whereupon they both shrug and go back to dancing. The scene has always seemed to me a model for the resolution of angry disputes within intimate relationships.  :D

From her page on this site, I discover that she is also the woman who chases after the Stooges in Slippery Silks and brings them down with a flying tackle.

Offline garystooge

Just so that it is not forgotten that this thread is about all memorable women in the Stooges' shorts, not just the beautiful ones

you asked for it.....

Offline JazzBill

you asked for it.....

Is that Maxine Gates?
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

Offline metaldams

Offline garystooge

The perfect 48 - 52 - 48.

Yeah Bill, that's Maxine Gates.  Funny you should guess her measurements Metal....the UPI news caption on the back of this press shot states that Maxine is proud of her vital statistics which are given as 46-36-46 and 250 lbs.

Offline Curly4444

Back then 250 wasn't seen as that bad for women. Now she'd be signing up for the biggest loser.

Offline metaldams

the UPI news caption on the back of this press shot states that Maxine is proud of her vital statistics which are given as 46-36-46 and 250 lbs.

Not quite the numbers us guys are used to seeing on those centerfolds in college (well, the 36 would usually be moved the left or right), but as long as she was proud of it...and I imagine she would be if she posed publicly in her under garments.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Here's a nice one of Lorna Gray/Adrian Booth.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Offline afcomser

Daphne did alot of Laurel and Hard Shorts too, she was very good.
Well Open The Door Squirrel Bait!!